September 28, 2010

Flexible Edits

Adjustment layers

"Snapdragon Sunset". 9/26/10, 7:34 PM. Cut flower gardens, Thomas E. Ricks demonstration gardens, Rexburg, ID. f/5. 1/400 sec. - Nikon D60. Tripod. This is the original image with no edits.

To get this much of the shot back I changed the exposure, added recovery, fill light, brightness and clarity, and lessened the blacks in RAW.

Once I brought the image into Photoshop, I used a non-destructive exposure adjustment layer to bring back the foreground while keeping the sky from blowing out. I raised the exposure more, the offset only slightly, and lessened the gamma. By doing this I totally blew out my sky, but thankfully the layer comes with a mask that I painted the sky back in with black paint at 100% opacity.

Flexible Smart Filters

"Golden Fall". 9/27/10, 10:22 AM. Thomas E. Ricks demonstration gardens, Rexburg, ID. f/4.8. 1/1250 sec. - Nikon D60. Original image, changed color balance to cloudy in RAW.

When I brought the image into Photoshop I first converted the image to a smart object by selecting Layer, Smart Object, Convert to Smart Object. Then I added a new layer (apple/control+j). Next I twiddled around with the different filter options and decided to use the Grain filter because I wanted the image to maintain its vibrant colors.

For the final image above I used the free mask to paint back in the highlighted leaf and branch for a slight contrast against the grain filter.

2 comments:

  1. I really like the grain filter you used for your Golden Fall picture. I really helps keep those leaves on the right as the focal point. Also good job with the lighting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sky in your adjustment layer picture. Soo pretty

    ReplyDelete