October 19, 2010

Editing Portraits

Enhancements

"Danen". 10/17/10, 10:35 am. Lorenzo, Idaho. f/5. 1/100 sec. - Nikon D60. Tripod. Original with no edits.

Danen looks pretty good in this shot, but I did whiten his teeth slightly by adding a hue/saturation layer and then lowering the yellow channel. I also used a color dodge paintbrush on his eyes a bit to bring in more blue and intensify the highlights.

Replace Color

"Doug & Mitzi". 10/17/10, 10:37 am. Lorenzo, Idaho. f/4.8. 1/50 sec. - Nikon D60. Tripod. Original with no edits.

For Doug's shirt I used the quick selection tool to select his entire shirt, and then through layer, adjustments, replace color I tweaked his shirt to more of a middle grey color. I like the more neutral color with Mitzi's shirt.

Match color

"Color Source". 10/17/10, 10:00 am. Lorenzo, Idaho. f/5.6. 1/40 sec. - Nikon D60. Original with no edits. I really like the brightness of this shot, but the sky is too blown out and I couldn't do much with it in RAW, so I used it as the color source for the next image.

"The Girls". 10/17/10, 10:00 am. Lorenzo, Idaho. f/5.6 1/200 sec. - Nikon D60. Original with no edits.

With this original image in Photoshop I went to layers, adjustments, match color and selected "Color Source" as where I wanted Photoshop to draw the info from and then lowered the luminance, raised color intensity, and brought up the fade.

I like how the color match adjustment brightened the image a bit and gave better highlights on Mitzi's face. What a cool tool!

No comments:

Post a Comment