October 11, 2010

Panoramic




"Panos 1-4". 10/9/10, 3:42 pm. Logan, Utah. f/9. 1/1600 sec. - Nikon D60. Above are my original images with no edits.

For my edits I brought all four pictures into RAW at the same time, and brought up the lightest image on my screen then selected all four images. I then adjusted my exposure and contrast and added recovery to make sure my clouds didn't blow out. Next I saved my raw files as digital negatives.

I then used the photomerge tool in Photoshop to create the Panorama. Then I used an adjustment layer to bring up my exposure even more to make sure the bottom of the sign and underneath the car weren't blocked up. I then masked back in all of the sky at 100% opacity and parts of rest of the image at varying opacities. Next I used a strong saturation Hue/Saturation layer to the sky, car, and sidewalk for an extra pop of color. Lastly I cropped the image.

"#1 Dad".

As a little background behind the picture its self, while on my way to Utah for the weekend my car broke down. I had it towed to Logan and stayed the night with an old roommate there. The next day my Dad and his cousin drove up from Sandy to rescue me and replace the alternator. I felt kinda like white trash fixing the car in the parking lot, but my Dad's magic touch worked and I was able to safely drive home with no worries.

5 comments:

  1. i love the view you took in this picture, instead of horizontal, the vertical view is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so confused when I was looking at your individual photos before blending them together. Once I realized it was a vertical panoramic I loved it! I didn't think about doing a vertical rather than horizontal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your vertical panoramic with the from-the-ground perspective! So creative and fun! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the colors in your sky... but the feet and shoes ruin the feel for me. You should have cropped that part out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your story makes this shot! I can just picture you sitting there waiting for your car to be fixed. What a brilliant idea for a pano, and the vertical orientation is perfect for the situation. Having your legs in the foreground adds a nice signature, personal touch. This is a great story-telling photo. I love it!

    ReplyDelete